Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 53 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:Here's an excerpt from a post RFC made a few years ago on this forum. Note that, for some unknown reason, RFC's posts here are not in the snippets database.

on 2011-06-18 RFC wrote:By this point, the Mesan Alignment's innermost leadership truly have become sociopaths where their great and burning purpose is concerned. Not only that, they have a tunnel vision which is literally centuries old. They've been so focused for so long, for so many GENERATIONS, that they simply can't see what became blindingly obvious to Jack McBryde, which is that if they are in fact right, a fraction of the effort they've spent on building their strategy and the means to accomplish it would have paid for a propaganda/PR campaign that would almost have to have convinced a significant percentage of the human race to agree with them. They wrote that possibility off so long ago that it's not even on their menu of options. And after all this time, the Alignment HAS to defeat Beowulf (and prove its own moral superiority in the process) in order to justify and, if you will, sanctify all of the effort and all of the wealth and all of the destruction of lives which it has poured into its struggle. It's not logical, but let's face it, logic is seldom the most powerful motivating factor where human beings are concerned.

NOTE - this is a single paragraph extracted from a much longer post.

cthia wrote:Can you provide a link to the treasure?

Your search-fu is probably as good as my search-fu. I keep a file of the more interesting RFC posts on my local system; that's where this came from. At the time, I wasn't keeping more detailed traces as to where this was in the forum. The date and name are all I've got.

Sorry about that.
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:28 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Your search-fu is probably as good as my search-fu. I keep a file of the more interesting RFC posts on my local system; that's where this came from. At the time, I wasn't keeping more detailed traces as to where this was in the forum. The date and name are all I've got.

Sorry about that.

I cannot find the original; if it was in this forum then it seems to have aged away. But I did find a thread started by JohnRoth and added a comment to bring it up, which does have an extended quote from RFC.
Sorry about the attribution; it was started by Amaroq.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote: But I doubt the stubbornness gene in the forum is going to acknowledge that the two women are both Bardasanos.

Do allow me to point out that the problem in the Bardasano line has not been dealt with as I digest it. Simply a band-aid has been placed on the wound with the "remedial treatment." Of course I personally wonder exactly what that "remedial treatment" entails. The aforementioned date with a Gaul dishing out shock therapies that I previously suggested, maybe? LOL

I agree with your first statement; because you have no textual evidence that the two women are in anyway the same, either genetically or psychologically.

Second you are denying the text when you say the defects in the Bardasano genome that concerned the planning board have not been dealt with. It seems clear to me that the planning board remediation would involve gene editing and not some crude behavior modification; particularly for a problem that had them consider truncation before ever getting to Isabel.

You seem to think that the genome that results in an individual is common to all (at least, that is how I read your arguments); but the genome that resulted in Bardasano and the genome that resulted in Marinescu are distinct. Just as the Detweiller genome and the Chernyshev genome are different and distinct; not just the resulting individuals. Think of genome as genetic history, which can involve genetic edits to strengthen traits. If they were not distinct, then there would be no sense to the consideration of crossing Detweiller with Bardasano lines. Having distinct lines makes it easier for the Planning board to control and experiment.
cthia wrote:I think you meant to say that you disagree with my first statement?

No, they were not permanently dealt with. Only a band-aid was applied. See the following lines...
Of course, they'd have to be dealt with in the next generation or two if the Bardasano line was going to earn back permanent alpha status within the Alignment, which Isabel understood.

It appears to me that "the next generation or two" is referencing the line down the line that has not been hatched yet. Implying corrections in the manner of refinements applied directly to the genome of the successive lines themselves. The "or two" is because it may take an extra generation of study, testing before the changes manifest itself, for better or for worse. These aren't popsicles coming off of the assembly line, people. Though they are cold as hell and drip with messy shit when heated.

Bardasano is already born. Her genome is a done deal. This is why I said I'd like to know what these "remedial treatments" entail. I'm sure the MAlign, well not completely sure after all these are malignants, have developed more humane methods :o of attitude adjustment to psychotherapy than battery leads connected to various parts of the anatomy.

Wait! Ok, now my fingers aren't crossed...Wait! LOL

I just don't know what that could be beyond 21st century man's shock therapies. I'm not a geneticist.

Do forgive me. Make that 20th century shock treatments. Photo.

Which also begs the question of whether the therapies actually took. Or if Bardasano is smart enough, or desperate enough, or just plain had enough, to keep a lid on it, not wanting any more to do with these "remedial treatments."

Which may refer back to her "insouciance" towards him. Yes, I know he finds it "charming." :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

tlb wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:

Sorry about that.

I cannot find the original; if it was in this forum then it seems to have aged away. But I did find a thread started by JohnRoth and added a comment to bring it up, which does have an extended quote from RFC.
Sorry about the attribution; it was started by Amaroq.

It does seem to have aged off - I can't find it. I'm not sure whether to post the whole thing - the Mesan Alignment material in June 2011 was quite voluminous.
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:05 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I think you meant to say that you disagree with my first statement?

No, they were not permanently dealt with. Only a band-aid was applied. See the following lines...
Of course, they'd have to be dealt with in the next generation or two if the Bardasano line was going to earn back permanent alpha status within the Alignment, which Isabel understood.

It appears to me that "the next generation or two" is referencing the line down the line that has not been hatched yet. Implying corrections in the manner of refinements applied directly to the genome of the successive lines themselves. The "or two" is because it may take an extra generation of study, testing before the changes manifest itself, for better or for worse. These aren't popsicles coming off of the assembly line, people. Though they are cold as hell and drip with messy shit when heated.

Bardasano is already born. Her genome is a done deal. This is why I said I'd like to know what these "remedial treatments" entail. I'm sure the MAlign, well not completely sure after all these are malignants, have developed more humane methods :o of attitude adjustment to psychotherapy than battery leads connected to various parts of the anatomy.

Wait! Ok, now my fingers aren't crossed...Wait! LOL

I just don't know what that could be beyond 21st century man's shock therapies. I'm not a geneticist.

Which also begs the question of whether the therapies actually took. Or if Bardasano is smart enough, or desperate enough, or just plain had enough, to keep a lid on it, not wanting any more to do with these "remedial treatments."

Which may refer back to her "insouciance" towards him. Yes, I know he finds it "charming." :lol:

I agreed with your doubts that anyone else on the forum would think the two women were the same.

The problems that the planning board found bad enough to consider truncation have been dealt with, as the text said. The remaining problems, that might take a generation or two to fix, were not considered severe enough to stop the creation of Isabel and gene treatment is only needed to return her genome's social preferment as "Alpha status" - which is also what the text said. So she is now in a "Beta status".
I really doubt that you would want to try physical "remedial treatments" on someone whose specialty was "wet work".

PS.
Please check out the thread entitled Detweiler Vision vs Beowulf Code: "Right" and "Wrong", which I brought forward. I believe that it has the full quote from RFC that people were asking about after JohnRoth's snippet.
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

tlb wrote:Please check out the thread entitled Detweiler Vision vs Beowulf Code: "Right" and "Wrong", which I brought forward. I believe that it has the full quote from RFC that people were asking about after JohnRoth's snippet.

It's the second post. There's also another RFC post a few days later, on April 14 at 9:20.
Post by tlb   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Please check out the thread entitled Detweiler Vision vs Beowulf Code: "Right" and "Wrong", which I brought forward. I believe that it has the full quote from RFC that people were asking about after JohnRoth's snippet.

JohnRoth wrote:It's the second post. There's also another RFC post a few days later, on April 14 at 9:20.

That is disappointing. I have a small request: if you do post the rest of what RFC said, then please put it in the "Detweler Vision vs Beowulf Code" thread where it will be easier to find in the future. As is often the case, we are wildly off the topic of the header of this thread.
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:It's the second post. There's also another RFC post a few days later, on April 14 at 9:20.

tlb wrote:That is disappointing. I have a small request: if you do post the rest of what RFC said, then please put it in the "Detweler Vision vs Beowulf Code" thread where it will be easier to find in the future. As is often the case, we are wildly off the topic of the header of this thread.

I should probably have been more specific. That is the complete post as I have it in my files. Now, I have several dozen other RFC posts on a variety of topics, and putting them in that thread would simply make it very difficult to comment on any of them - comments would be tripping over each other with no rhyme or reason.
Post by tlb   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:I should probably have been more specific. That is the complete post as I have it in my files. Now, I have several dozen other RFC posts on a variety of topics, and putting them in that thread would simply make it very difficult to comment on any of them - comments would be tripping over each other with no rhyme or reason.

I understand. Is there another database where RFC data dumps can be collected - perhaps the Imperium (I do not remember the exact name) that he also uses - so that we do not lose valuable explanations because of time? I do not mean the book snippets that he puts out, because they are redundant after the publish date.

It seems unfortunate to me that a view topic pointer (which I do not know how to use) does not protect the target from purging.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:I should probably have been more specific. That is the complete post as I have it in my files. Now, I have several dozen other RFC posts on a variety of topics, and putting them in that thread would simply make it very difficult to comment on any of them - comments would be tripping over each other with no rhyme or reason.

I understand. Is there another database where RFC data dumps can be collected - perhaps the Imperium (I do not remember the exact name) that he also uses - so that we do not lose valuable explanations because of time? I do not mean the book snippets that he puts out, because they are redundant after the publish date.

It seems unfortunate to me that a view topic pointer (which I do not know how to use) does not protect the target from purging.

Joe Buckley (the original Joe Buckley), is the one recording the snippets there, and I don't know the litmus test he uses for snippets there - but it is pretty high. For awhile he recorded quite a few pearls, but hasn't lately - and some of the pearls which did exist have been edited or deleted.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse