Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

Travis Long seires questions and some spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Travis Long seires questions and some spoilers
Post by Lunan   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

So Queen Elizabeth II is pregnant with Crown Prince David.
I recall no King David being mentioned anywhere, Is he Queen Addriane's Father? or Grand father the time table seems a bit off for me.

If the MWJ is discovered in 1585 and we are in 1540s there seems alot of story to take place and no prolong means that we don't see the discovery in this series?

Edward Saganami comes along when? (obviously after as he was contempoary to Queen Adriane but how far away is that time frame?

and lastly this has nothing to do with the travis series but what did Elane Dorville actully do to get her listed as one of the 2 greatest RMN heros along with Saganami?
Re: Travis Long seires questions and some spoilers
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Lunan wrote:So Queen Elizabeth II is pregnant with Crown Prince David.
I recall no King David being mentioned anywhere, Is he Queen Addriane's Father? or Grand father the time table seems a bit off for me.

If the MWJ is discovered in 1585 and we are in 1540s there seems alot of story to take place and no prolong means that we don't see the discovery in this series?

Edward Saganami comes along when? (obviously after as he was contempoary to Queen Adriane but how far away is that time frame?

and lastly this has nothing to do with the travis series but what did Elane Dorville actully do to get her listed as one of the 2 greatest RMN heros along with Saganami?

King David appears in the House of Winton lists in both _More than Honor_ (the first Honorverse anthology) and _House of Steel_ (he was probably Queen Adrienne's grandfather, though it is possible he was her great-grandfather and was succeeded by his grandson). As for Rear Admiral Ellen D'Orville, her story is in _House of Steel_ (in the people subsection of the Star Empire of Manticore section of "The Honorverse Companion" part of _House of Steel_. Basically, she coordinated the evacuation of a large space habitat that had been contaminated with weaponized nanotech (this was not in the Manticore system). When the nanotech breached the final firewall, she ordered a nuclear strike on the station (where she was by the way).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Regarding King David and Ellen D'Orville, you just got your answers, I think.

Because the series was renamed "Rise of Manticore" I give it a good chance that there will be a book or three about the discovery of the Manticore Wormhole Junction. Assuming, David and his partners find the time for it, that is ;)
Post by jchilds   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Just noticed a couple of the names of characters - B.A. Felton & Robert Herzog. Is that a Knights of the Dinner Table reference?

[Edit] Hmmm... Patricia Gauzweiller & Nitro too.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Lunan wrote:
Snip....

what did Elane Dorville actully do to get her listed as one of the 2 greatest RMN heros along with Saganami?

Snip... As for Rear Admiral Ellen D'Orville, her story is in _House of Steel_ (in the people subsection of the Star Empire of Manticore section of "The Honorverse Companion" part of _House of Steel_. Basically, she coordinated the evacuation of a large space habitat that had been contaminated with weaponized nanotech (this was not in the Manticore system). When the nanotech breached the final firewall, she ordered a nuclear strike on the station (where she was by the way).

In the tradition of Commander Rivera of the Interplanetary Patrol, who had pre-ordered a nuclear strike on his own position if he was taken hostage during negotiations with an opposing force ...
Edited to correct spelling of Rivera (vs. Riveria).
Last edited by Fox2! on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:51 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

In Apocalypse Troll they had a nuclear strike set up if they lost against the Bolo like enemy.
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Eagleeye wrote:

Regarding King David and Ellen D'Orville, you just got your answers, I think.

Because the series was renamed "Rise of Manticore" I give it a good chance that there will be a book or three about the discovery of the Manticore Wormhole Junction. Assuming, David and his partners find the time for it, that is ;)

Book 3 is "A Call to Vengeance" and is available as an EArc at Baen. Hopefully book 4 - A Call to ???????? will be out in 2019.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:25 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Eagleeye wrote:Because the series was renamed "Rise of Manticore" I give it a good chance that there will be a book or three about the discovery of the Manticore Wormhole Junction. Assuming, David and his partners find the time for it, that is ;)

I thought it was renamed Manticore Ascendant.
Last edited by George J. Smith on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Can we assume that Travis was around in the plague years?

Also as one of the posters mentioned Queen Adrienne can we also assume that Travis was around when the Harrington family migrated to Sphinx and Stephanie met Climbs Quickly?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:46 pm

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Can we assume that Travis was around in the plague years?

Also as one of the posters mentioned Queen Adrienne can we also assume that Travis was around when the Harrington family migrated to Sphinx and Stephanie met Climbs Quickly?

Plague Years have already happened, it happened in the mid to late fifteenth century PD with flair ups until the early sixteenth century PD. The Star Kingdom novels have several new colonists who arrived in the latter stages. Like Dr. Scott MacDallan, Dr. Sanura Hobbard and the Harrington's.

Return to Honorverse