Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

Updated chronological order

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Updated chronological order
Post by Timer   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 am

Timer
Midshipman

Is there an updated chrinological order of reading? The only on I could find is from back on 2007. It is obviously missing stuff.
Re: Updated chronological order
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Timer wrote:Is there an updated chrinological order of reading? The only on I could find is from back on 2007. It is obviously missing stuff.

What was the last book on the order you have?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Timer   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Timer
Midshipman

Theemile wrote:
Timer wrote:Is there an updated chrinological order of reading? The only on I could find is from back on 2007. It is obviously missing stuff.

What was the last book on the order you have?

Torch of freedom
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Ideally, you should read (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

War of Honor
Crown of Slaves
Shadow of Saganami
At All Costs
Storm from the Shadows
Torch of Freedom <== You
Mission of Honor
In Fire Forged
A Rising Thunder
Beginnings
Shadow of Freedom
House of Steel
Cauldron of Ghosts
Shadow of Victory

However, I do not believe In Fire Forged or Beginnings (both short story anthologies) lend or subtract anything important to the timeline. They do have very important details overall, but their exact placement is not required.

Also note, many of these stories have plots that connect to, parallel, or build off other plots, so you will see the same scene in several books, sometimes word for word, other times from another perspective.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:44 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Theemile wrote:Ideally, you should read (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

War of Honor
Crown of Slaves
Shadow of Saganami
At All Costs
Storm from the Shadows
Torch of Freedom <== You
Mission of Honor
In Fire Forged
A Rising Thunder
Beginnings
Shadow of Freedom
House of Steel
Cauldron of Ghosts
Shadow of Victory

However, I do not believe In Fire Forged or Beginnings (both short story anthologies) lend or subtract anything important to the timeline. They do have very important details overall, but their exact placement is not required.

Also note, many of these stories have plots that connect to, parallel, or build off other plots, so you will see the same scene in several books, sometimes word for word, other times from another perspective.

If you're looking for timeline order, you should read House of Steel, Beginnings and In Fire Forged first (in that order), since they have stories that occur before On Basilisk Station.
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:44 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Theemile wrote:Ideally, you should read (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

War of Honor
Crown of Slaves
Shadow of Saganami
At All Costs
Storm from the Shadows
Torch of Freedom <== You
Mission of Honor
In Fire Forged
A Rising Thunder
Beginnings
Shadow of Freedom
House of Steel
Cauldron of Ghosts
Shadow of Victory

If you're looking for timeline order, you should read House of Steel, Beginnings and In Fire Forged first (in that order), since they have stories that occur before On Basilisk Station.

Also "Our Sacred Honor" from the Infinite Stars anthology, which also takes place prior to OBS.

(Yes, I am going to plug that story every single chance I get. Frankly, I'm still trying to convince myself that it is, in fact, a thing which actually exists instead of something I conjured up in an especially vivid dream.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by d-eye   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 am

d-eye
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

This is the most recent I know of

http://www.baen.com/bookdata/catalog/se ... 1000000001
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:13 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

And the last few book are mostly happening in parallel so that, except for maybe splitting them chapter by chapter, it’s impossible to read them in strict chronological order.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:08 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

d-eye wrote:

This is the most recent I know of

Nice - especially the Reading Flowchart, only marred by the spelling error. (I expect better of Baen on their official site.)

- updated to fix autocorrect miscorrection.
Last edited by JohnRoth on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Vince   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

d-eye wrote:This is the most recent I know of

JohnRoth wrote:Nice - especially the Reading Flowchart, only marred by the spelling error. (I expect better of Been on their official site.)

Baen, Bane, Been, Bean? :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.

Return to Honorverse