Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:15 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi cthia,

I kinda like "Lurks From Below", or "Strikes From the Shadows" but "Mind Cleaver" also suggests itself, especially if his/her coat is a dark or mottled black that disappears in the twilight etc.

Of course Thandi is going to get one too. what name for her/him to fill out our fearsome foursome? 8-)

MAlign beware! :lol:

I also look forward to treecat literary criticism of say "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings". :D

Who knows, perhaps Raul can eventually explain human written and video literature well enough the memory singers can charge for 'viewings'. ;)

Keep smiling,

L

cthia wrote:Nice thought about Torch having its own population of 'Cats, lyonheart. Perhaps Victor would get bonded.

Victor's treecat's name would be Armageddon.

Jeremy X & Riddler. Victor & Armageddon.

The dynamic double duo strikes fear in the minds of enemies. LOL
Last edited by lyonheart on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:34 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Pnakasone,

Is that Indonesian, Malaysian or Thai?

No shaving will be necessary, although KZT did make me smile.

Genghis apparently had adjusted quite well to the tropical climate just like Nimitz in EoH, so once they're there, there should be few problems. ;) [ hurrah for synonyms!]

I wouldn't be surprised if the treecats didn't have or get set aside reserves or enclaves with picket-wood trees and prey etc in an environmental dome, NTM Skydomes might have some experience and even be willing to do it at cost {although the Andermanni and RoH will probably insist on paying all costs], if necessary, as part of the 'homesteading' agreement to keep the new generation treecats closer to their Sphinx 'roots' to appease the conservative treecat elders. ;)

Something else to recognise is, are all the special treecat db's and shuttles that will be needed as Samantha/Golden Voice's plan unfolds, which will be modified to fit all treecat requirements, including far fewer human seats to hide under, etc.

Imagine how much prey, NTM rabbits, they may have to ship and restock?

Of course,Dispatch Boats ought to be big enough for the initial treecat colonies, but imagine the call signs and ship logos etc.

anyone for some fun suggestions? :D

All the very best,

L

I believe I've posted before about potential revenue streams for treecats on other planets, Lyonheart.

Having a domed habitat replicating their Sphynxian environment is a good place to start. Have portions of it like a park where visitors can come in and have a picnic or play games where 'cats can join would be a nice place to start. Charge a small fee for admittance to defray the cost of upkeep for the dome. Those 'cats that work outside the dome can use a portion of their incomes to pay their expenses. I am sure that the SEM will offer a stipend for such colonies.

Furthermore, I am sure that 'cats will also purchase wilderness for their use. Heck, one wonders if we will see colonists in Swallow when next the story resumes. That sort of harsh wilderness would be an attractive place for adventuresome treecats. Perhaps there aren't enough trees, but I am sure they can make up for the additional exposure with some power tools/weapons. Heck, they would be perfect scouts for the safari outfitters once in the bush.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:

Genghis apparently had adjusted quite well to the tropical climate just like Nimitz in EoH, so once they're there, there should be few problems. ;) [ hurrah for synonyms!]

I wouldn't be surprised if the treecats didn't have or get set aside reserves or enclaves with picket-wood trees and prey etc in an environmental dome, NTM Skydomes might have some experience and even be willing to do it at cost {although the Andermanni and RoH will probably insist on paying all costs], if necessary, as part of the 'homesteading' agreement to keep the new generation treecats closer to their Sphinx 'roots' to appease the conservative treecat elders. ;)

Something else to recognise is, are all the special treecat db's and shuttles that will be needed as Samantha/Golden Voice's plan unfolds, which will be modified to fit all treecat requirements, including far fewer human seats to hide under, etc.

Of course,Dispatch Boats ought to be big enough for the initial treecat colonies, but imagine the call signs and ship logos etc.

All the very best,

L

I believe I've posted before about potential revenue streams for treecats on other planets, Lyonheart.

Having a domed habitat replicating their Sphynxian environment is a good place to start. Have portions of it like a park where visitors can come in and have a picnic or play games where 'cats can join would be a nice place to start. Charge a small fee for admittance to defray the cost of upkeep for the dome. Those 'cats that work outside the dome can use a portion of their incomes to pay their expenses. I am sure that the SEM will offer a stipend for such colonies.

Furthermore, I am sure that 'cats will also purchase wilderness for their use. Heck, one wonders if we will see colonists in Swallow when next the story resumes. That sort of harsh wilderness would be an attractive place for adventuresome treecats. Perhaps there aren't enough trees, but I am sure they can make up for the additional exposure with some power tools/weapons. Heck, they would be perfect scouts for the safari outfitters once in the bush.

I mentioned in the past that we might see the Treecats request a survey of the planets of the SKM (and other friendly parties that will grant them rights, later) and look for other, near perfect, binomes for them to set up colonies around the SKM. Their forestry skills would be valued on planets like Loomis (not SKM), and clans may wish to hire out skilled "rangers" in the future to such planets.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:28 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:Nice thought about Torch having its own population of 'Cats, lyonheart. Perhaps Victor would get bonded.

Victor's treecat's name would be Armageddon.

Jeremy X & Riddler. Victor & Armageddon.

The dynamic double duo strikes fear in the minds of enemies. LOL

Victor already has a partner, Anton Zilwiki, now what would his 'cat name be and also what would his 'cat's 'cat and human names be?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Victor already has a partner, Anton Zilwiki, now what would his 'cat name be and also what would his 'cat's 'cat and human names be?[/quote]

I think Mycroft would be one good name for Anton's cat.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi cthia,

First, Torch doesn't have an official constitution yet, whatever the initial or interim compact they came up with in CoS, and while Helen was named as Berry's successor in SoS, I also doubt Berry is opposed to having children soon.

Berry's DNA is rather precious, she's such a emotionally balanced mature person, that it should be conserved as in RAH's "Beyond This Horizon", even with clones, besides children with Arai; even though cloning has never been part of RFC's Harrington story, ie only mentioned in passing, albeit mainly in the MAlign.

Regarding Helen, the fact that Berry chose her is impressive; Helen may have more empathy or ability to love the Torches than even she realizes, and Berry's choice would carry an awful lot of weight with her subjects, while Lars has never shown much empathy or caring for others aside from getting all the girls he can, though that might change if and when he matures, although that will be quite a story in itself. :)

The main problem with Jeremy X now that I think of it is that he doesn't have prolong, which is a real problem for treecats bonding with him.

Jeremy has been so remarkably perspicacious with the people around him, that I wonder whether he can have children, and if not is helping people realise who they're in love with faster than they will admit even to themselves, to grow his family by choice now, while he's still alive; or because he couldn't afford to be the father he'd want to be or insist upon, when his life expectancy was so poor as the Ballroom's leader.

Between Samantha and some very tough women including some ex-scrags, who really like what they see in Jeremy, I wonder how long his bachelor days are numbered.

Maybe 'X'. :)

While I'm no Rose, should we suggest possible bondings such as Sorrow Singer and Jeremy?

Or just one of her now even more dangerous guards, since memory singers are never allowed to travel alone.

His name might be 'The fastest four arms of death ever', and that was long before he got pistols his size. :lol:

Keep smilin'

L

cthia wrote:Question.

If the assassination attempt on Berry would have been successful, Helen would have succeeded her.

Helen is Crown Princess, but she has military responsibilities within the RMN. I'm sure Elizabeth wouldn't see her ascension as a problem but I wonder if Helen would want to be Queen. I suppose internally she accepts the possibility since she is the Crown Princess -- yet does she actually expect to be foisted upon the throne? I'm wondering if she would be willing to abdicate at this point, Lars being much older now. And whether Torch's Constitution would permit it.

Also, who else would be in the order of precedence? There hasn't been enough time to "seed" the batters box.

drunken wiki informant wrote:As of 1919 PD, it was not known what official standing Lars had in the order of precedence of the Kingdom of Torch. He began studies at the New University of Landing that year.
Last edited by lyonheart on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post by saber964   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 pm

saber964
Admiral

According to textev treecats live currently on five planets.

Sphinx treecat homeworld
Manticore Monarch of Manticore and any regular visitors to Sphinx.
Gryphon small colony from Bright Water Clan in the Duchey of Harrington.

Grayson small colony numbering 42 treecats in Harrington Steading
Torch handful treecats bonded to ex-slaves. IIRC there are Three.

Small colonies likely to crop up on members of the Grand Alliance worlds of Haven and Beowulf with the possibility of Erewon and Smoking Frog getting some in the near future.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi FallsFromTrees,

Actually, besides the treecat guards, Eloise in her pre wedding phone call with Elizabeth [ch 28 ART], requests some more unbonded treecats, and Elizabeth promises to discuss it with Sorrow Singer and Professor Arif ASAP, to send a bunch, at least 2 dozen, home to Haven with Eloise after the wedding.

The wedding was in July, and we have CoG and SoV going well into October, so they could be well ensconced in Noveau Paris by now, and the biggest tourist event ever in NP or Haven; up close visiting and touching cute, cuddly, clever, sweet smelling [sandalwood?] intelligent aliens who can respond to you and your questions, who love children, and the incredible extremely exciting shivery possibility of bonding for life with an empathic pardner.

Disney eat your heart out. :lol:

Can you imagine what the Disney corporation of 2022+ PD would pay for that kind of draw on Terra and the other core worlds? 8-)

I mean we're talking "billions and billions" of 'E' tickets!

$$Trillion$ per planet just to start the bidding!

Keep smiling,

L

fallsfromtrees wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:quote="pnakasone"
Eh. Tropical climates are very uncomfortable for treecats. That's going to put a damper on non-bonded 'cats going to Torch.

Not once we shave them!quote

Treecats are considered "people." They go where they want to go. Some might decide to go to Torch. But so far, except for those partnered with key leaders in the Grand Alliance, they are on the three planets of Manticore, mainly Sphynx, and Grayson.

No textev that they have sent some to Haven, etc.

I would guess there won't be any real moves until there are reports from some treecats who go to the planets and, probably, a few adoptions.

It was a big deal when Grayson got them.

I'm certain that the treecat partnered with senior Havenite officials (Pritchett, etc al) went back to Haven with them when they returned home. It was part of the treecats participation in the war against the MAlign.[/quote]
Last edited by lyonheart on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:34 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello cthia,

I'm not sure the treecat would permit whatever happened to go to court, but I also think the bonding would be treated like a spousal relationship, but suspect the treecats would offer to wave that to try to explain what they know about all the actors and their emotions; so courts might require having treecat lawyers or observers to ensure the bond isn't damaged or threatened by the court's questions [there was a very funny thread at the bar years ago about the special new treecat hunter class, called lawyers, who want their planet back!]

Since treecats have a rather direct way for dealing enemies, I doubt a hostile lawyer would want treecats for enemies, especially when for starters they might reveal too much of their thinking or emotions in court- would you want the judge to always remember what you really think of him?

Or imagine having a treecat officer of the court follow you around for monthes or years pushing a button to let everyone around you know when you're lying!

LIAR!LIAR! only lasted a day IIRC, though I barely watched or listened only a little to the end, to avoid paying more attention to the rest.

Wouldn't some people go crazy in a month, if they couldn't lie, lying being so important to them?

What about a year, or two or more?

How would human courts etc change if telling the truth were enforced by treecats?

"Fascinating" certainly.

As an aside, I recommend William Shatner's "Leonard-a fifty year friendship" for trekkers and people interested in the ups and downs of a relationship over 50 years.

It might be worth considering during discussions of prolong on long lasting relationships.

Keep smiling.

L

cthia wrote:While contemplating whether Houseman had cause to sue Honor upstream, something else came to mind. Actually, the seed was planted in the Humor thread and the germinated thought resurfaced upstream.

Will it be possible to subpoena treecats as witnesses against their persons in a court of law? Or will treecats be given exemption under the law as spouses are here on Earth with Spousal Immunity?

AT ODDS!

<Memory Singers request the right not to have to sing in court against a spouse>

Some wholeass of a lawyer who also never liked treecats could purposely badger treecats in a court of law and try to force a wedge between the bonded pair. The treecats may find that there may be some unwanted implications associated with being intelligent and hanging out with two-legs.
Last edited by lyonheart on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi PeterZ!

I think Swallow Treecat Scouts would be fantastic! 8-)

Although Cripple Mountain Treecat Scouts [CMTS} doesn't quite have the same ring I'm afraid. ;)

But having no natural enemies in the system or planet could lead to an explosive population growth, though textev for 'cats is an average of four approximately every ten years IIRC, but that could still be a very explosive rate within the lifetime of a single treecat.

I've also posted some thoughts on all the things treecats could do to help the two legs, besides psycho analysis etc, detective work, mentoring children and teenagers, teaching, security screening, not just government but teachers, and civilian professionals of all kinds; once such professionals 'cats are plentiful, many contracts might require such sureties.

There are so many ways treecats could more than pay their way, NTM earning 'foreign exchange' to buy those wilderness areas, certainly entertainment transtellars like Disney will pay through the nose to be the first in the local interstellar neighborhood to attract some friendly aliens.

I can't help thinking of all the young memory singers modeling themselves on Golden Voice over the past ten-twelve years, who become the leader of their small group, NTM chief negotiator, and like the mythical hunter/lawyer scouts, run rings around the local two-legs. :)

Definitely very interesting times, if not "fascinating!"

L

PeterZ wrote:

All the very best,

L

Last edited by lyonheart on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Honorverse