Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 125 guests

SPOILERS==Shadow of Victory Comments, Queries and Opinions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILERS==Shadow of Victory Comments, Queries and Opinio
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:02 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

vernonlvincent wrote:[snip] If you have an overarching plot involving all those locations, it would be impossible to adequately convey the scope and intricacies without diving into the kinds of details that begin to bog down the immediacy of the action. DW seems to have struck the compromise of giving us the highlights in previous novels so that we can move forward while saving the details for the times where he feels it's appropriate. [snip]

Somewhere in the mess of 30 odd pages (or maybe on another 30-45 somepage thread) RFC says his collaborator on the next book has people going "ever-whicha-kinda-way" This one has to get all the people from where they were to where they need to be before the start of the final Honor book.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:08 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Star Knight wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:... Obviously they wont tie everything up perfectly but as said, its a long way from a couple of inconsistencies to uncovering the RF.
Its more than likely they call it a day when Darius is destroyed and all Detweilers are dead.

Orbrute labor not. Bad Ideas never seem to go away. Like fashions they get recycled evert 30 or so years. Of course genetic uplift is a good idea, Creating a civilization of "Genies" with the alphas on the top down to the gammas in an incontrovertible marketplace Caste system with genetic slaves having no membership in society, merely providing the is an abomination, hence a Bad Idea.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Marty   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:02 am

Marty
Ensign

After finishing the EARC, my sentiments are similar to many of those already expressed by other readers re: too much revisiting of previous events from a different POV.

The character development is all well and good, but you can rarely go wrong with more battle scenes in a military SF, which this series is, so from that viewpoint I wish there had been more battle scenes, whether they were space battles between the SLN and Beowulf, or more details on the rebellion ground battles.
Post by Marty   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:49 am

Marty
Ensign

emphy wrote:
munroburton wrote:

1 On Basilisk Station
2 The Honor of the Queen
3 The Short Victorious War
4 Field of Dishonor
5 Flag in Exile
6 Honor Among Enemies
7 In Enemy Hands
8 Echoes of Honor
9 Ashes of Victory
10 War of Honor
11 At All Costs
12 Mission of Honor
13 A Rising Thunder

I trust that makes the pattern easier to detect. ;)

SoV clearly isn't a mainline Honor novel, whatever Wiki, Amazon, etc.. says. It belongs with the rest of the Shadow books.

I am surprised the most obvious one isn't used yet, so I suggest:

14 Honor

The finale deserves a special title, like having "Honor" in it twice. How about Honor's Honor? :mrgreen:
Post by GlynnStewart   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:06 am

GlynnStewart
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

If we're throwing out title ideas for the final book, I like keeping it simple and evocative (while multi-layered):

Honor of Manticore
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:08 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

GlynnStewart wrote:If we're throwing out title ideas for the final book, I like keeping it simple and evocative (while multi-layered):

Honor of Manticore

Too limited. What about

The Honor of the Galaxy
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:50 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
GlynnStewart wrote:If we're throwing out title ideas for the final book, I like keeping it simple and evocative (while multi-layered):

Honor of Manticore

Too limited. What about

The Honor of the Galaxy

Debt of Honor
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:30 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

How about

Honor Served
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 pm

saber964
Admiral

My vote is for Sacred Honor.

From the saying,

Our Lives,
Our Fortunes,
Our Sacred Honor
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:15 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

jgnfld wrote:Aside: I once wrote out a quantitative answer to the old bromide of which bullet hits the ground first a bullet shot horizontally or one dropped at the same time. It is trivial to show that an observer at the gun will measure the bullet dropped at the gun to hit the ground before the shot bullet is observed to hit because of this microsecond level light speed travel time. The teacher was not happy.

Actually, I think the important factor is if the bullet is fired east or west. Changing it's orbit by the energy of the gun should have more effect than the lightspeed lag.

Return to Honorverse