Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

What do you name them?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What do you name them?
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Hutch wrote:IN honor of the other long-running SF series I read, the freighters would be the Michael Sterns and Rebecca Abrabenal, while that sharp-shooting Q-ship is of course the Julie Mackay.

No memo have I. What series are those exactly Hutch?

Ring of Fire, Assiti Shards, 1632 and sequels, or Grantville -- take your pick of series nomenclatures.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:03 pm

MuonNeutrino
Commander

saber964 wrote:IIRC Voyager 1 and 2 were originally part of the Mariner program as Mariner 11 and 12.

In the very early days of the project, yes, but they weren't launched under those names, nor are those the names by which they're remembered today. And for better or worse, Voyager is how *I'll* always remember them.
Post by jtg452   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:41 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

How about SS Dewey, the SS Cheatum, and the SS Andow? :mrgreen:

Then again, the SS Porter, SS Carter and the SS Gutentag tickles my fancy, too.

Porter and carters move goods from place to place. 'Gutentag' means, 'good day' and is also the name given to a weapon used in The Netherlands by the town militias during the late Middle Ages. It was a heavy, long oak club with a steel or iron spike on the end and, occasionally, some iron bands to reinforce it. Put it in the hands of someone that uses his strength for a living, like a blacksmith, and stick him between a pair of pikemen for protection and it becomes a fearsome weapon.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Annachie wrote:Porter, Amber, and Dark (or perhaps Dunkel)

No Old Tilman? :o

Old Tilman is a brand not a style iirc.

I do wonder what style it would be?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Vince   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:
Hutch wrote:IN honor of the other long-running SF series I read, the freighters would be the Michael Sterns and Rebecca Abrabenal, while that sharp-shooting Q-ship is of course the Julie Mackay.

The Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint, published by Baen Books.
Links:
The official home page of author Eric Flint
Ring of Fire Series at Baen Books
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Hutch   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:

My apologies, cthia; I assumed that since Eric Flint had been a co-author with the MWW, and David had written in his series, that readers would be familiar with it.

But Vince and Weird Harold nailed it. Michael and Rebecca are the central protagonists in the novels (along with Gustavus Aldophus of Sweden, but he gets at least a BC named after him) and Julie MacKay (nee Sims) is...let's just say she puts a whole new meaning to 'drop dead gorgeous...'
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Gun Boat Diplomacy   » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:19 am

Gun Boat Diplomacy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Since I assume that the 3 ships will be used against the SL, I think that for the 2 freighters: HMS Battle of New Tuscany and HMS Battle of Spindle. For the Q-Ship, HMS Raging Justice, either that or HMS 3rd Battle of Manticore.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:07 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:Since I assume that the 3 ships will be used against the SL, ...

Why would you assume that? Only one is armed, the other two are simple freighters. Combined, they constitute a private flagged convoy for ventures into pirated infested waters -- er... space.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Theemile   » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:Since I assume that the 3 ships will be used against the SL, I think that for the 2 freighters: HMS Battle of New Tuscany and HMS Battle of Spindle. For the Q-Ship, HMS Raging Justice, either that or HMS 3rd Battle of Manticore.

Totally off-topic...

Every time I hear the name of Operation: Raging Justice, a little voice in the back of my head tells me that's the new name for a condition which the Pharmaceutical companies want you to treat with a medicated pad.

I can hear the commercial now....

<forceful, authoritative voice> "Don't let 'Raging Justice' interfere with your day - Use Manticore Medicated Pads to relieve your inflated SLN Taskforce."
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse