Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

Delayed CM activation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Delayed CM activation
Post by Carl   » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 am

Carl
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Your math fails relax because you clearly missed one or two of the pearls. I'll try and dig up the relevant one later for you.

Missiles have their antennae on the rear aspect of the missiles. For the controlling ship to communicate it needs a clear LoS to that aspect, and vice versa. For attack missiles they do this in sequence each moving to a position in the wave where it can clear it's after aspect for a moment, (they maneuver enough on the way in to create issues from maneuvering alone).

So your 3d falls apart because if any CM's have another CM behind them they get no comm data and don't work. You probably could use the MDM approach in theory, but based on various bits of info my understanding is that CM's require much more control link management over their whole flight. And certainly before the control links cut they have to spread out and assume a 2D formation so they're all locked up before the CM's lose them to control loop lag.

And no, i don't think the CM's can see each other, they only have sensors on the nose, even if those are 180 degree arc their fellow CM's will be out of sight. They can't respond to each other maneuvers and one of the pearls mentions that MDM's don't intercommunicate except for Apollo control missiles which is a special exception. Given MDM's run pre-programmed attack profiles, that's not an issue. CM's have to respond to unknown maneuvers by their targets and so need to clearance to maneuver safely.

Anyway i'll see if i can find the pearls now.
Re: Delayed CM activation
Post by Relax   » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Carl wrote:Missiles have their antennae on the rear aspect of the missiles. For the controlling ship to communicate it needs a clear LoS to that aspect, and vice versa. For attack missiles they do this in sequence each mov

Yes, and, since when in any part of this scenario is the rear aspect of a CM not available?

You still refuse to do very simple math to back up any of your claims. Lets do a VERY simple calc. A percentage calc shall we?

1000km on centers. 780,000km square. A CM wedge is maybe 10km wide by 3km-4 high. Blankets 30-40 square kilometers out of 780,000. 30/780,000 is 0.004%. Do remember how a radio signal propagates eh. It disperses as it travels. Why you still get signal when you live on the opposite side of a mountain. Why you still get signal even at street level in downtown New York with giant buildings everywhere blocking the signal.

So, sure if you are so stupid as to line up your CM's several 10's of thousands directly in a row, getting a signal to them could be a problem. Of course that means you just launched 10's of millions of CM's, so at least you are still alive.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse