Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Honor Harrington Series

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honor Harrington Series
Post by buckeyeboy47   » Sun May 31, 2015 2:01 pm

buckeyeboy47
Midshipman

Hello,

I have just finished "A Rising Thunder" after listening to the entire series and was wondering if that is the final book of the series or what book or books continue the series? It is difficult to determine this from the sources I have looked at.
Thank you.
Re: Honor Harrington Series
Post by drothgery   » Sun May 31, 2015 9:00 pm

drothgery
Admiral

buckeyeboy47 wrote:Hello,

I have just finished "A Rising Thunder" after listening to the entire series and was wondering if that is the final book of the series or what book or books continue the series? It is difficult to determine this from the sources I have looked at.
Thank you.

Shadow of Freedom and Cauldron of Ghosts overlap some, timeline-wise, with A Rising Thunder, but both end after the end of A Rising Thunder. But that's it for main-timeline Honorverse novels, and will be it for a while (AFAIK, it's not what David Weber is writing right now, and his next three novels -- all already complete, at least to first draft stage -- are not Honorverse novels).
Post by Lunan   » Sun May 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

buckeyeboy47 wrote:Hello,

Thank you.

the series is not finished. however you are upto date as it were for where the series is. it is not expected that the next Honorverse book will be out untill the second half of 2016 at the last report i saw. that said the pre honor books written by Tim Zahn and Tom Pope are coming with book 2 this october.

as i understand it Himself (David Weber)kind of oded on Honor after/during a rising thunder and the last shadows book and needed to let the creative juices flow for other things (sword of the south was an awesome read btw) so we have the next(second to last i hope) safehold book coming, sword of the south(epic fantasy) and the third hells gate book(fantasy sf interesting thing)
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:56 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Lunan wrote:the series is not finished. however you are upto date as it were for where the series is.

That depends on how you define "series". David Weber would argue that Shadow of Freedom and Cauldron of Ghosts are part of the same series with the Honor Harrington books. They were published after A Rising Thunder and end a bit later in the timeline. If you don't read them, you will certainly be lost when the next Honor book comes out, because the storylines from all three books will be combined in the next one. And that, of course, means you also need to read the books that come before Shadow of Freedom and Cauldron of Ghosts, if you haven't already.

David has said for a long time that the Shadows and Torch books should not be considered separate from the Honor Harrington books. And it all comes together next time (whenever he manages to work on the new one).
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:28 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

SWM wrote:
Lunan wrote:the series is not finished. however you are upto date as it were for where the series is.

That depends on how you define "series". David Weber would argue that Shadow of Freedom and Cauldron of Ghosts are part of the same series with the Honor Harrington books. They were published after A Rising Thunder and end a bit later in the timeline. If you don't read them, you will certainly be lost when the next Honor book comes out, because the storylines from all three books will be combined in the next one. And that, of course, means you also need to read the books that come before Shadow of Freedom and Cauldron of Ghosts, if you haven't already.

David has said for a long time that the Shadows and Torch books should not be considered separate from the Honor Harrington books. And it all comes together next time (whenever he manages to work on the new one).

In addition to all this, the so-called "side" novels are packed to the gills with some of the most amazing characters you will ever meet in this series. Michelle Henke! Abigail Hearns! Michael Oversteegen! Augustus Khumalo! Estelle Matsuko! Bernardus van Dort! Aivars Terekhov! Naomi Kaplan! Victor Cachat! Berry Zilwicki! Anton Zilwicki! Helen Zilwicki, Jr.! Thandi Palane! Literally the entirety of Lara's Own! Jack McBryde! Herlander Simoes! Helga Boltitz! Gwen Archer! Stephen Westman!

...I'll be quiet now.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Lunan   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

sorry guys i should have been more clear, as i tend to thing of cauldron of ghosts, shadow of freedom and a rising thunder as basically 1 book
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:16 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

All of the books, in publication order;
1. On Basilisk Station (Apr 92)
2. Honor of the Queen (June 93)
3. The Short Victorious War (Apr 94)
4. Field of Dishonor (Dec 94)
5. Flag In Exile (Sep 95)
6. Honor Among Enemies (Feb 96)
7. In Enemy Hands (Jul 97)
8. More Than Honor (Jan 98)(Anthology)
9. Echoes of Honor (Oct 98)
10. World of Honor (Feb 99)(Anthology)
11. Ashes of Victory (Mar 00)
12. Changer of Worlds (Mar 01)(Anthology)
13. War of Honor (Oct 02)
14. The Service of the Sword (Apr 03)(Anthology)
15. Crown of Slaves (Sep03)
16. The Shadow of Saganami (Oct 04)
17. At All Costs (Nov 05)
18. Storm from the Shadows (Mar 09)
19. Torch of Freedom (Nov 09)
20. Mission of Honor (June 10)
21. In Fire Forged (Feb 11) (Anthology)
22. A Rising Thunder (Mar 12)
23. Shadow of Freedom (Mar 13)
24. House of Steel (May 13) (Compendium)
25. Beginnings (July 13) (Anthology)
26. Cauldron of Ghosts (Apr 14)

While you can currently skip the Torch and the Talbott branches and only read the Manticore branch, they will be reintegrated soon. And the Torch and Talbott branches started in the anthologies, so you really have to read them as well. I always recommend publication order.
Post by drothgery   » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:28 pm

drothgery
Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:While you can currently skip the Torch and the Talbott branches and only read the Manticore branch, they will be reintegrated soon. And the Torch and Talbott branches started in the anthologies, so you really have to read them as well. I always recommend publication order.
The Talbott branch arguably reintegrated with Storm from the Shadows, and certainly did with Shadow of Freedom. And the Torch sub-series is just done, as Eric Flint and David Weber have found coordinating schedules with all the balls they have in the air much too difficult.

Return to Honorverse