Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Battle of Manticore - am I the only one?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Battle of Manticore - am I the only one?
Post by Dafmeister   » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:19 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Yes, I have read Beauty and the Beast and that’s not the impression I got (though it’s entirely possible I’ve repressed something, I really didn’t like the story). My sense was that Jacques was targeted purely because Manpower wanted to compromise a BSC officer – the fact that he was a Benton-Ramirez y Chou was a star-spangled bonus as far as the goons on the ground were concerned, but not the prime motivation for the operation. Alfred offering them a chance to kill him comes under the same category; he wasn’t part of the initial plan at all because they didn’t know he’d even be on Beowulf, let alone that he’d get entangled with Jacques and Alison.

Ass for Honor, I’ll say it again – her actions against the slave trade are nothing that Manticorans haven’t been doing for centuries. There’s no evidence in text that Manpower have ever mounted a retaliatory attack on an RMN fleet commander in the past, so why would they be a suspect now? What we do have textev for is characters saying that what’s been happening lately is way out of character for Manpower –the company is acting like a star nation instead of a corporation. It doesn’t make sense until they realise it’s not Manpower behind recent events at all.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:54 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:Yes, I have read Beauty and the Beast and that’s not the impression I got (though it’s entirely possible I’ve repressed something, I really didn’t like the story). My sense was that Jacques was targeted purely because Manpower wanted to compromise a BSC officer – the fact that he was a Benton-Ramirez y Chou was a star-spangled bonus as far as the goons on the ground were concerned, but not the prime motivation for the operation. Alfred offering them a chance to kill him comes under the same category; he wasn’t part of the initial plan at all because they didn’t know he’d even be on Beowulf, let alone that he’d get entangled with Jacques and Alison.

Ass for Honor, I’ll say it again – her actions against the slave trade are nothing that Manticorans haven’t been doing for centuries. There’s no evidence in text that Manpower have ever mounted a retaliatory attack on an RMN fleet commander in the past, so why would they be a suspect now? What we do have textev for is characters saying that what’s been happening lately is way out of character for Manpower –the company is acting like a star nation instead of a corporation. It doesn’t make sense until they realise it’s not Manpower behind recent events at all.

You didn't like Beauty and the Beast??? I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I thought it was a wonderful introduction to a delightful woman and was enthralled to hear how Alfred and Alison met -- even if it was a bit hard on Alison at the time...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

It was a bit too much beating you over the head with "this is special!"
Post by Dafmeister   » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:17 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

kzt wrote:It was a bit too much beating you over the head with "this is special!"

Quite. It rather spoiled my image of Alfred and Alison - their relationship was special enough without kidnappings, rescues, interstellar terrorism and what looked to me very much like an analogue of a treecat bonding.

Return to Honorverse