Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests

Comedy/Tragedy of Errors: Stupidity in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Comedy/Tragedy of Errors: Stupidity in the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ECRF xkingnith teh ranc aikll lfof enHoor tarrtonHgin tthouwit ea roirt sno ish andhs.

I hope a certain person does not have access to an enigma machine. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:08 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Cthia,

Ah, but he didn't do it. :)

(I think you messed up the formula on the last two words)
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:Cthia,

Ah, but he didn't do it. :)

Nah, just ran out of extra letters. :mrgreen:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by garmine   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:35 pm

garmine
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

The most stuped pepole in Honorverse have to be the mardrings. Mantiecore sent a note and thay just did not reply. Then thay send a fleet to sort it out and loose it.

So thay send a armarder to manticore and loose it.

Total STUPIDITY.
Post by saber964   » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 pm

saber964
Admiral

SWM wrote: quote="Hutch"]
cthia wrote:How is this for stupidity?

Major Dover decides to kill Justin while in the presence of the treecat Monroe.

Monroe rips out his throat with his claws.

"Whatsa matter, 'cat got your tongue?"

:lol:

In Dover's defense (tepid on my part, mind you, he killed a very interesting character) he, as did most of the Palace, thought Monroe was dying as treecats were known to do when their person died.

He definitely didn't expect a dying 'animal' to understand that he (Dover) had murdered his person and rise from his deathbed to rip out his throat.

Ignorance, in this case, was not bliss.

Actually, Dover didn't even know Monroe was there. Only a few people knew that Justin was trying to take care of Monroe.[/quote]

True, IIRC Dover thought Monroe was a really ugly through pillow.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

OK. I relent. After so many emails asking for the decrypted version ...
cthia wrote:ECRF xkingnith teh ranc aikll lfof enHoor tarrtonHgin tthouwit ea roirt sno ish andhs.

I hope a certain person does not have access to an Enigma machine. :lol:

SWM wrote:Cthia,

Ah, but he didn't do it. :D

cthia wrote:Nah, just ran out of extra letters. :mrgreen:

I didn't think it would be so difficult. Especially after my 13-yr-old niece immediately IM'd me with "Don't need an Enigma for that Uncle. Could you have made it any easier?"

It wasn't meant to be difficult Alberta Einstein (gonna pay for that.) It was meant to be unobtrusive. Besides, your Uncle needs access to an Enigma himself to make it difficult for you. Even then I doubt you'd find it difficult, just fun!

The extra letters have now been highlighted. Just remove the extra letters, which spell e-x-t-r-a l-e-t-t-e-r-s, then unscramble.

Kudos, SWM, and everyone who got it but didn't pass on privileged information. :lol:

Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:24 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Okay, how about a bit of comedy that worked out okay anyway. All the way back from a few books ago:

Crown of Slaves wrote:Victor almost cackled, as that absurd image flashed through his mind in the middle of his desperate lunge to do the one and only thing he was concerned about.

"Get that bastard AWAY from the switch. Die in the doing, if need be—but GET HIM AWAY FROM IT."

Later, he would realize it all happened within a few seconds. At the time, his lunge toward the Masadan by the suicide switch seemed to take an eternity. Sailing through the air, at the last, his only purpose in life to tackle the man and take him down to the deck before he could destroy them all.

Victor felt a moment of elation, then. The Masadan had been as shocked as any, by Thandi's sudden and unexpected assault. Victor could see the determination beginning to congeal in the man's face, as realization replaced surprise. But even a Masadan does not commit suicide without a moment's hesitation—and he no longer had that moment. Victor would reach him in time, and no matter how he struggled, Victor was quite sure he could overpower the man. Certainly with the force of his lunge to give him the edge.

And so he did. But no overpowering was needed. By the time he brought the Masadan out of his seat and onto the deck, he'd tackled a corpse. In the final split-second, he saw a snarling fanatic face disappear in an explosion of blood, brains, and very tiny splinters of bone. Yet another three-round burst, he realized, then grimaced as he drove headfirst into the expanding cloud of gore which had been a man's face. And then, as he sprawled onto the floor atop the dead man, Victor was mostly just puzzled. How had Thandi managed that—without, again, putting a scratch on him?
"Idiot," she muttered, hauling him to his feet by the scruff of the neck. "Biggest damn problem I had was trying not to kill you. Worse than the Amazons."
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by saber964   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:05 pm

saber964
Admiral

Hear is a candidate for abject stupidity. The 4-5 individuals who tried to kill Honor at Regiano's.
Post by Rajani Isa   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Rajani Isa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

When the Berdette (? IIRC) guard tried to imitate the Harrington Stedding Guard... and didn't think to use MODERN sidearms.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:10 am

munroburton
Admiral

saber964 wrote:Hear is a candidate for abject stupidity. The 4-5 individuals who tried to kill Honor at Regiano's.

From what I remember, LaFollet admitted they almost pulled it off. To be fair to them, word hadn't gotten around about how well-trained Grayson armsmen are and at that point, Honor's only widely-known participation in personal combat was the attempt to kill Benjamin, where she wasn't the primary target and was badly wounded.

It's not until the end of FiE, after she's gone the whole rigmarole of surviving the attack at Regiano's, duelling Summervale, duelling Young, surviving another attempt and duelling Burdette that assassins would be considered stupid to make an attempt.

The abject stupidity was all Pavel Young's. As if everyone wouldn't know who had ordered it!

Return to Honorverse